Today, is a very sad day for me. I am a Malaysian who have been working in Singapore for more than 7 years. I have been asked many times by my friends to be a Singaporean since my wife is a Singaporean and I have intended to stay in Singapore for the rest of my life. Reason is that , deep down inside my heart, I am a very patriotic person. I have always feel a sense of belonging everytime that I go back to Ipoh (my hometown) even though it's only 2 times a year.
I don't know what is the reason exactly. To be honest, everytime that I go back to Ipoh, I really never feel that there are any improvement nor major changes in this capital city of Perak. Ipoh has not improve much for the past 10 years. Most of the youngsters who have graduated from University or Colleges have choose to work in other bigger states or like me work in Singapore because opportunity is very minimum and there are not much improvement in this city. One closer look at this city will make you realise that it is a city for retirees. It is an honest but sad fact to the city that once promise so much in the beginning.
But the weird thing is that everytime that I'm back in Ipoh, I have this nostalgic feeling about this city. After all, this is also the place where I have grew up, study and did a lot of funny things. Whenever I pass through my secondary school, I will always stop for a moment to think back all the funny incident be it bad or good that happen to me during my schoold days. I will share bout my secondary school days in another post.
Anyway, the reason that I set up this blog today and said that I was very sad is because of what has happened to the politics in Malaysia especially in Perak. I have never really been interested in Politics all this while although most of my friends who are from Malaysia working in Singapore always meet up for coffee and talk about Politics back home.
Even though as I have said, that I have never really been interested in Politics, I have always read the online newspaper to catch up on other news especially on the sport news of Malaysia. For the past few weeks, I have also been reading the online newspaper. What happen to the politics back at Perak recently really made me puzzled. This is also the reason I start up my Pocket Diary Blog.
I never ever believe 100% previously that a person's integrity could be bought by money as I am someone who always believe that not all things can be bought over by money. Although I admit that some people or leaders in Malaysia might be corrupted because of money, I never believe that it might affect all the members of parliment chosed by the people.
Since the last election, the Perak state was won by the Opposition Party (PR). It was a truly unexpected news for me in the beginning when news came out. I always knew that certain constituency in Perak are the Opposition party strongholds but I did not expected them to win the whole state. As I read through more and more past post, I come to realise that the people might have actually vote for PR instead of the Rulling Coalition (BN) not because they like the PR more but maybe they vote for PR to win because they hate PR lesser than they hate BN. As I have mention, there is not much improvement in Perak for the past 10 years so I thought the people of Perak sent a strong message to the government that they are utterly disappointed with the government.
For you guys out there who knows what is going on, by now, you should know that Perak have a new government and that is the BN. The reason is that 3 of the PR member of Parliment (MP) have all resigned from PR and became independent MP. The funny thing is that they are supposed to be Independent MP but they are also called "Barisan-friendly Independent" and because they are "Barisan-Friendly Independent", indirectly they belong to the BN and thus the BN have the majority of the Perak State.
My questions is why not join BN in the first place and not just be Independent MP? What happen one day if these so called 3 "Barisan-Friendly Independents" decided that they want to be "PR-Friendly Independents" instead??
I never like the idea that an MP can jump from one party to another party so easily and yet mantain his MP title. I know that this so called "Frog Jumping" as term by Tan Sri Dr. Koh Tsu Koon was started by Mr. Anwar Ibrahim from the PR but I have always agreed with what one DAP leader , Karpal Singh suggestion that this rule of jumping from one party to another party be abolished. In my opionion I am convinced that the majority people who choose their candidate to be MP always considered which party this candidate represented. So, do you think it's fair for a MP to jump from one party to another party and still retain his MP title?
As of today, both the BN and the PKR have 28 MPs equally. The reason that BN has power over Perak is because of this so called "BN-Friendly Independents". The other thing that puzzled me was that the PR Mentri Besar actually requested to the Perak Sultan to have a fresh election for the Perak State because of the 3 MPs that have resigned PR but this was rejected by the Sultan. I really do not know the reason of his decision but I am definately sad and disappointed with his decision. The Sultan is someone who do not need to take orders from anyone as he can make his sole decision which will have to stand at the end of the day.
What is the problem of holding a fresh election in Perak? After all, it is the people of Perak who choose their own MP. My guess is that the BN could not afford a fresh election in Perak because if this happens, they might not even win 28 Constituencies. They might be embarrased with the result like what happen in Penang state where the BN was whitewashed away.
As it is now, the new mentri besar (from BN) has sworn in already to be the new prime minister. The swearing ceremony took place down at the Sultan Azlan Palace. I'm just curious, since the MP number difference between BN and PR is razon thin, what happen in future if 2 of the BN MP quite the BN party and decided to join the PR? Will there be another swearing ceremony at the Palace? Just imagine, all it takes is for 2 MP to cross over and the whole process has to done all over again........does it make sense to you guys out there???
Well, I guess if you got a lot of money like the BN has, you can just buy over a person's integrity even though it is a very sad thing. Anyway, I just hope that justice will prevail at the end of the day as I always believe that there is a God above who is ever watching and knowing.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Labels:
Sad Day In Politics Back Home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Bro....what do you think. There is no justice in Malaysia for many many year already. I got pissed off just like you.
ReplyDeleteThere is no such thing as integrity in Malaysia now. It's a tragic thing but very shameful as well. I hope the next government going to rule Malaysia is not the BN!
ReplyDelete